This recipe for quinoa chili uses tempeh, but if you like meat, substitute in a lean protein like turkey. Beef and pork are also good options. Use a heartier beef stock, too.
This vegetarian recipe can also easily accommodate meat eaters with a few ingredient swaps.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen yellow corn
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 cup tempeh, crumbled
- 1/3 cup mild hatch chili, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 pint vegetable stock
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa (your favorite)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Rinse quinoa until water runs clear. Set aside.
- Heat oil in 6-quart pan over medium heat. Add onion, cook until slightly translucent. Add carrots, garlic, corn, quinoa, tempeh, hatch chili and spices. Cook until very aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, mix well and allow to slow simmer for 30 minutes, until quinoa is cooked. Adjust for liquid and seasonings.
- Garnish as needed (finely chopped red onion, diced cilantro, sliced avocado, shredded cheese).