- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 (10-ounce) can organic chicken stock
- 1 pound cooked black beans
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 medium-sized), peeled and diced
- Dash red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Note: If using dried beans, precook them in a pot of water over medium heat for 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pot, over medium-high heat; add onion and cook until translucent, 3–5 minutes.
- Add garlic, jalapeno and stock; cook until tender, 5–7 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes and sweet potatoes; simmer at low heat 10–15 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional toppings: grated cheese, sour cream, relish, cooked ground chorizo sausage
PER SERVING: 336 CAL; 15G PROTEIN; 9G FAT; 53G CARB (7G SUGARS); 844MG SODIUM; 14G FIBER
Live Naturally is excited to partner with Bauman College, whose students like John created this recipe. Bauman is committed to spreading wellness through the healing power of fresh, whole food. Their programs equip students with the tools necessary to support people—locally and globally—in achieving optimal health. Visit baumancollege.org.