Chicken Tikka Masala Soup
Recipe Type: Soup
Serves: Serves 6-8
We dare you not to say “Mmmmm” after your first bite of this take on an Indian favorite. Serve with whole-grain naan or flatbread.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, cored and cubed
- 2 teaspoons garam masala spice blend
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 garnet sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 yellow sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 32 ounces chicken stock, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) jar tikka masala sauce (try Kroger Private Selection)
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- ½ small cauliflower, stems removed, cut into small florets
- ½ roasted chicken, meat pulled off the bone
- Salt and pepper, as desired
- Greek yogurt for garnish
- Heat oil over low heat in a large soup pot. Add onions and peppers; sauté 15–20 minutes, until soft.
- Turn up heat to medium, add garam masala, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic and ginger. Stir, and sauté for 1 minute. Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes and half of the chicken stock. Fill tomato can halfway with water, swish to remove tomato clinging to the can, and add to the pot.
- Bring to a simmer, and cook on low for 30 minutes, until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Add tikka masala sauce, garbanzos, remaining chicken stock, cauliflower and roasted chicken. Bring back to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes, until cauliflower is cooked. Season with salt and pepper; serve with a dollop of yogurt for each bowl.