Cashew Butternut Squash Soup with Spiced Marshmallows
Recipe Type: Soup
Serves: Serves 4-6
Warm baking spices give this otherwise traditional winter soup an added blanket of warmth. The marshmallow garnish is optional, but it’s a fun way to get your kids to eat their vegetables.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 32 ounces vegetable stock
- ¾ cup light, canned coconut milk
- 6 large marshmallows, one per person, cut in half to make two flat disks;
- sprinkle each cut side with a light dusting of cayenne or cinnamon (optio
- Add olive oil to large soup pot on medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, shallot and apple. Sauté until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add cumin, ginger and nutmeg. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add squash, cashews and stock. Bring to a low boil and simmer until squash is soft.
- Let soup cool for about 30 minutes (or refrigerate).
- Transfer soup in batches to a blender. Puree each batch until smooth, and return to pot. Add coconut milk to thin out soup. Reheat.
- Place spiced marshmallows in the bottom of each bowl, and pour in the soup. The heat will melt the marshmallows as they float to the top.