This dense and flavorful waffle hides the healthy monounsaturated fat of avocado. A great dish for a brunch or for energy before a big outdoor adventure.
- 1 very ripe avocado; peeled, seeded, pureed
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease an 8-inch rectangular pan with oil or butter; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix avocado, honey and eggs; beat until well blended. Combine buttermilk with baking soda, and stir into mixture.
- Add cornmeal and flour; mix until no lumps remain.
- Add jalapeno, garlic and salt, and give mix a final stir. Pour batter into greased pan.
- Bake 30–40 minutes, or until a fork/toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
PER SERVING: 280 cal; 10g prot; 6g fat; 51g carb (7g sugars); 400mg sodium; 8g fiber
Live Naturally is excited to partner with Johnson & Wales University. Brianda Esquivel, Chef Adam Sacks, Taylor Sherwin and Emily Smith (l to r) developed these recipes. Known as a recognized leader in culinary education, JWU is changing the way the world eats. For info, visit jwu.edu/denver.